Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Metaphorical Typography




          My main focus on this project was to reinterpret the words based on their location within the composition rather than to manipulate the actual type itself.  While this led to very conceptualized  metaphors, I think that they are still very effective when understood.  
          For the top one that I did, I wanted to evoke anxiety onto the viewer through the placement of the word.  Therefore, I decided to use very awkward placing, cropping off a sliver of the top portion and almost all of the "A".  Through creating an intentionally unbalanced composition,  the viewer is left in a state of disclosure and anxiety.  
          The middle composition was my way of experimenting distance, and how it plays a role in the viewing experience.  The actual composition is supposed to be the relationship between "confidence" and "doubt".  When read up close, I wanted the word to evoke a sense of confidence, so I gave it a bold san serif type, and placed it harmoniously in the middle.  However, once the viewer steps back, they begin to notice something off about the word, which is its subtle tilt--the doubt.  While it's subtle, it disrupts the seemingly perfect composition.  I felt like this would go well with the notion of "doubt" because when we find ourselves confident in one area of our life, doubt will often come in and disrupt it. And as we step back and analyze our lives, the doubt will become more noticeable.  It will never be the perfect composition like we once thought it was.
          As for the last composition, I've always thought of guilt as being something that we want to tuck away, something that we want to hide.  However, we can never rid it from ourselves completely, it  will always linger in the in the back of our mind.  I wanted to communicate this thought through hiding the word, in a sense, but still keeping a small legible portion of it visible.  I also italicized the font because I felt like it emphasized a contemplative/reflective way of thinking, which goes well with the notion of guilt because it's based on our actions from the past.